What is it? and who is he?
The US Chamber of Commerce (USCC) is not a part of the government, although, it was created by President William Howard Taft around 1912 to go against the Labor movement which had become organized and powerful.
Tom Donohue became head of the organization in 1997.
He disliked the idea of healthcare reform that involves providing healthcare for every American regardless of income or ability to pay.
Mr Donohue disagrees with the scientific consensus that climate change is enhanced by human energy use.
He opposed Dodd/Frank legislation and portions of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act which was signed in to law by George W. Bush after the Enron and Worldcom scandals and arrests.
He thinks a company should be able to sue a country. Phillip-Morris vs Uruguay was a case where a tobacco company actually sued the country of Uruguay for implementing strict measures to prolong life and promote health through organized efforts to get tobacco out of the country. Monsanto is suing countries that are disallowing Monsanto products due to health concerns as well.
Well, now the USCC is the largest lobbying organization in America. It’s current agenda includes –>
- Establishing the congressional budget for the United States Government for fiscal year 2017. Why would he care about the congressional budget?
- Providing for congressional disapproval of the Environmental Protection Agency relating to the definition of “waters of the United States” under the Clean Water Act.
- Disapproving a rule submitted by the Environmental Protection Agency relating to “National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Ozone”. clean air and water are too expensive to maintain and do a profitable business I guess.
- Providing for congressional disapproval of the Environmental Protection Agency relating to “Standards of Performance for Greenhouse Gas Emissions from New, Modified, and Reconstructed and existing Stationary Sources: Electric Utility Generating Units” He wants to keep oil, gas and coal
- Disapproving the rule submitted by the Department of Labor relating to the definition of the term “Fiduciary”. I wonder what is wrong with the term Fiduciary?
- EPA Science Advisory Board Reform Act of 2015. Is it possible to reform science?
- There are more, I just listed the first few. They have their irons in lots of pots.
$79,205,000 has been spent on lobbying in 2016. They spent $84,730,000 in 2015 so they may surpass that come January 1. Whoo boy there is a lot of money in money isn’t there? Not much money to be made in healthcare for all I guess. Healthy, vegetable eating, non-smoking, solar powered masses are bad for the economy. Mr Donohue, I think you are bad for the planet.